Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nellie's Bad Ouchie


Over a week ago Nellie fell and hurt her arm. Lucy was over so I put the stair blocker thing up. Nellie, my daredevil stood on top of it and fell. I wasn't sure if it was broke. She cried when it first happened but was back to using it shortly after. Nellie has very high pain tolerance. Brandi was the same way and I asked the doctor if that came with her disability and he said it did. Her eardrum burst last month and I didn't even know she had an earache (Brandi would do the same thing).
Anyway I took her into see the doctor the next day because it was bothering her and it was swollen, looked weird in a spot and the bone was bowed. The Dr. said he thought it was broken and had me go get Xrays. I got the Xray done immediately and went back to the Dr with them. He looked at them for awhile and said it was weird because he didn't see anything on the Xray that looked broken but he had already put it in her chart that it was. He said sometimes the break won't show until days after so if it was still hurting her to bring her back in. She ended up getting really sick so I had to bring her back in for that and told him her arm was still bothering her. More Xrays. Still not really showing a break, but Dr. sure it is. Long story longer. :).... Went to other Dr. who specializes in this more and she recommended casting it because she was sure it was broke. Finally today went in to get it casted at their other office and that Dr. said he was sure it was broke too. He thought it was a Green stick fracture and that is why it isn't showing up on the Xray. She could choose between green, purple or pink for her cast color - of course she chose purple. So between ear infections (including a busted eardrum), a virus that made her get really high fevers & her arm we have been a regular at the Dr's office.
Here's what I found on the internet about Green stick fractures:
Green Stick Fracture
A Green Stick Fracture is a type of simple fracture in which only one side of the bone is broken while the opposite side is bent. It resembles the breaking of a green tree branch, hence the name. In Green Stick Fractures, the ends of the fractured bone are less likely to displace because part of the bone is still intact.
This type of fracture occurs most often in children because their bones are less rigid and brittle. Treatment for Green Stick Fractures is the same as for
other fractures. But Green Stick Fractures may heal faster than other fractures.
I like the part about it healing faster. She gets her cast off in 3 weeks.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Oh, Nellie! I am sorry you hurt your arm, but the purple cast is quite pretty!

Unknown said...

Nice to see your comment on the Hope Arising blog! I'm excited to meet you on November 14! How did you hear about the event??

So cool that you're in my parent's ward!!

Julie Herrell said...

Your dad know's I am a Randal Wright fan. He told me about your work with him and told me about the event. I look forward to meeting you too. I'm bringing my 3sisters with me.